Ring Sizing: Frequently Asked Questions
If you can not find the answer you are looking for, or would like more information, please do not hesitate to contact us toll free at 1-800-292-4900 in the United States (1-310-659-0059 for international customers) or via e-mail at email@example.com.
• What is ring sizing?
• How long does ring sizing take?
• Do you guarantee your ring sizing?
• How do I find out my ring size?
• How do I convert US ring sizes to an international ring size?
• What if I want my own jeweler to size my new ring?
• I do not know the ring size I need right now - can I have my ring sized by the Antique Jewelry Mall at a future time?
• How much will ring sizing cost me in the future?
• I purchased a ring from you and would like to send it back to you for expert sizing, how do I proceed?
• What if I want to return a ring that has been sized?
What is ring sizing?
Most rings we offer can be made larger or smaller in size a process called "ring sizing" or "ring re-sizing". Rings which can be safely sized to another ring size have ring sizing as a separate orderable option right on the item page. So, if you like a ring and the ring is not listed in your ring size, you can choose optional
ring sizing by our jewelers when you place your order so that your ring will fit you perfectly when you receive it!
What if I want to return a ring that has been sized?
Rings sized by us are completely returnable for a refund of the ring purchase price minus any customer paid ring sizing charges. Rings sized by your jeweler would be considered altered and will not be accepted for return, refund, exchange or credit.
How long does ring sizing take?
Expert ring sizing by our jewelers normally takes from 5-7 business days.
Do you guarantee your ring sizing?
Absolutely. We have our own company jewelers and we guarantee that every ring sizing is done in a solid and strong way with the correct metal used for a permanent solder joint.
How do I find out my ring size?
To avoid the disappointment and hassle of receiving an incorrect size and having to return an item, please be certain of your ring size before placing your order.
We recommend the following tips for determining ring size:
- Have a ring which already fits you professionally measured by a jeweler. If you do not have a ring to measure, you will need to measure your finger.
- If you are measuring your finger, measure your finger when it is warm - finger sizes change throughout the day, depending on temperature, activity, and diet. A ring which fits well will slide on easily but will offer a bit of resistance for a couple of seconds when being removed from the finger.
- Ring size is generally 1/2 size larger for the fingers on the dominant hand (the one used for writing).
- If your finger is a lot larger around the knuckle than at the base of your finger, you will want to choose a size that slides on with a small bit of effort, with the ring fitting snugly enough over your knuckle with a bit of resistance as you slip it on so that even if your ring is loose at the base of your finger, your ring will not slip off.
- It is a good idea to have your finger sized by trying on plain wedding bands in a jewelry store or department store in the same width of the band you are purchasing. Some jewelers will attempt to size your finger using a collection of very thin rings which are attached to a large ring (the whole thing looks like an old time "jailhouse" key ring). We do NOT recommend this method as the only method of determining your ring size, as these rings are considerably thinner than most rings and many of our customers have ordered rings in too small a size after having their finger sized with these very thin rings.
- When purchasing a band 4 millimeters or wider, you should try on a wedding band in the exact width of the band you will be purchasing. Please note that in wider bands most customers will need to order a larger ring size than usual, due to the amount of space that a wider ring will cover on the finger and the space needed to slip over the knuckle. For rings from 4-6 millimeters wide, the majority of customers need a 1/4 to 1/2 size larger than their usual ring size, for rings from 7-12 millimeters wide, most customers will need a ring 3/4 to 1 size larger than their usual ring size.
- Rings can be sized to 1/4 sizes, but generally 1/4 sizes are more relevant in smaller finger sizes.
- Please keep in mind that fingers are soft and not completely round (unlike a metal ring), and that the best ring fit for you will be one that will stay on your finger securely and comfortably.
- Please remember, the best and most accurate way to determine ring size is to have your finger measured with a ring in the same millimeter (mm) width as the ring you are considering purchasing. We also have an international ring sizing chart and a printable ring sizer for your general reference, viewable HERE.
How do I convert US ring sizes to an international ring size?
If you are trying to convert an US ring size to an international size, you can use our International Ring Size Chart or our Millimeter to Inch Conversion Chart.
What if I want my own jeweler to size my new ring?
Please be aware that rings altered in any way by an outside jeweler are NOT returnable for refund, exchange, or credit. Sizing a ring involves heating the metal to a very high temperature and damage to gemstones and the rest of a ring can occur during sizing. Our talented jewelers are specialists in sizing rings with intricate design details and when we size a ring we take full responsibility for the quality of the work done, but we can obviously not guarantee the work of others. Please also note that we offer a
Lifetime Warranty on our jewelry items, which will be voided if your ring is sized by your jeweler.
If you are going to have your ring sized by your jeweler, it is a good idea to have the jeweler guarantee in writing their sizing work against future breakage and damage to the sizing area and the ring itself. Be sure to also make certain that the jeweler is sizing your ring with the same metal and karat (if gold) as the metal in your ring. We have seen platinum rings in particular, sized with white gold, and sometimes even yellow gold, and then plated with white gold, which is completely wrong and does not make for a strong sizing joint and will also not match in color with the rest of the ring. We have had many customers who are unsure of the size they need who have purchased their ring first and then sent it back to us for sizing. Most of our customers have found that our ring sizing charges are more reasonable than the average retail jeweler would charge, and customers also feel added confidence in the fact that we also fully guarantee our work.
I do not know the ring size I need right now - can I have my ring sized by the Antique Jewelry Mall at a future time?
Yes! If you are giving a ring for an engagement or for a surprise gift, do not know your own ring size, or would like to wait to see the ring you are purchasing in person before having it sized, our talented jewelers can size the ring after purchase for you. We are specialists in sizing rings with intricate design details and can expertly size your ring for you when you are ready.
How much will ring sizing cost me in the future?
If you do not know your ring size, or decide not to have your ring sized when you place your order, you can send your ring back to us for Future Ring Sizing. Future ring sizing is the same price as ring sizing on the item page where you placed your order.
For Women's Rings which have sizing as an orderable option, ring sizing is generally possible from a size 4 to a size 9.5.
For Men's Rings which have sizing as an orderable option, ring sizing is generally possible from a size 7 to a size 13.5.
Rings can sometimes be sized to even larger and / or smaller sizes, which would depend on an individual ring's structure as evaluated by our jewelers and would be done at an additional non-refundable cost. The associated ring sizing charges are viewable on the original item page where you placed your order.
Rings which can be sized by our jewelers have ring sizing as a separate orderable option on the individual ring item page. Rings with patterns which
encircle the entire ring or which are set with gemstones which encircle the entire ring are not sizeable, and we do not offer ring sizing options on such rings.
I purchased a ring from you and would like to send it back to you for expert sizing, how do I proceed?
Please contact us toll free at 800-292-4900, so that a customer service representative can give you easy mailing instructions on safely returning your ring to us for expert sizing, and an authorization number for your ring sizing order.
Ask questions or order by phone with an expert jewelry specialist!
Toll Free USA: 800-292-4900 International: 310-659-0059
Mon - Fri: 9am - 7pm Pacific time
Print this Page
Close this window